Comfort food isn't reserved for carnivores only! This crock-pot vegetarian version of the classic Sloppy Joe sandwich uses lentils in place of meat, eliminating the saturated fat and cholesterol from the dish as well as reducing the total fat content.
Easily add vegetable purees or extra chopped veggies like yellow squash, zucchini, or bell peppers to the lentils for enhanced color, texture, and flavor!
And for those looking to "beef up" the recipe, simply substitute lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey in place of some of the lentils.
Crock-Pot Lentil Sloppy Joes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup finely chopped or shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils (*or ground turkey)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 3 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Place all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve on hamburger buns or spooned over cooked spaghetti squash halves.
Nutrition per serving:
214 Calories | 12g Protein | 39g Carbohydrates | 10g Fiber | 2g Fat | 0g Saturated Fat | 272mg Sodium